Communications/Community Relations: Media/Public Relations Servicing
Marketing and Promotions Internship, Spring 2017 - Atlanta Motor Speedway (Hampton, GA)
Atlanta Motor Speedway's internship program provides hands-on experience in many different aspects of the marketing and promotion of auto racing events. The program offers serious, career-minded students a quality learning experience and the opportunity to form valuable relationships in preparation for a career in the professional sports industry. The internship is an unpaid opportunity for credit-earning college students. A successful internship experience will not necessarily result into permanent employment; however, interns are given at least the same consideration as other candidates when permanent job opportunities arise.
Spring semester: Cover letter and resumes being accepted now for Spring 2016 internship, to begin in early January and end in early May.
Who Can Apply
Credit-earning college students who apply will be considered for the position. While sport management and marketing majors are preferred, there is no course of study that is required for internships, and each applicant will be considered. Candidates should have quality writing samples prepared to submit.
Qualified applicants will be contacted for an initial telephone interview in addition to a formal interview with the marketing and promotion staff on an ongoing basis until the position(s) is filled.
The marketing and promotion intern will work a full-time schedule, focusing mainly on helping the marketing and promotion department prepare for and execute two major events: the 2016 AMS NASCAR Weekend and the Summit Racing Equipment Atlanta Motorama. Under the supervision of the communications manager, the marketing and promotion intern(s) will provide support with copy writing, media outreach, promotional appearances and other duties including but not limited to the list below. The candidate will also work each day of the NASCAR Weekend as a press box and/or media center assistant. The candidate should be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, possess excellent written and verbal communications skills, be highly organized and have a well-developed sense of initiative.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in writing race event releases, stats, notes and features
- Update media guides
- Keep and maintain a comprehensive media clip file
- Coordinate and facilitate off-site promotional events
- Help plan and execute all media events and promotions
- Help create and send invitations to all media events
- Brainstorm and research for interesting, off-beat notes to be used at race times
- Distribute press guides to those requesting general track information
- Help compile story ideas and bio information for race programs
- Ensure all local and national community events calendars are accurate and up to date with track events and activities
- Fulfill switchboard rotation duties
- Assist marketing and promotion department as needed with day-to-day activities
Please note this description is a general overview of the position and may include additional tasks and responsibilities based on performance. The position will report to the communications manager.
Applicants will work Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and are expected to be motivated and willing to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends during events.
Log on to speedwaymotorsports.teamworkonline.com and click on “Internship.” Follow the prompts to submit an application online.